20 Jun F.A.Q
USING YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OIL
- What is the proper dilution with carrier oil?
Few carrier oils which are recommended are Young Living’s V6 oil, extra virgin organic coconut oil, sweet almond oil, organic grapeseed oil, emu oil or extra virgin organic olive oil.Gentle Babies book recommends dilution for baby under 6 months at 1 to 10 or 20 ratios. Below are table of dilution in general.
- What is the ratio of essential oil for kids and babies?
Below are general guidelines for using oils based on age0 to 6 months old – 1 drop on palms, use counting method or dilution, then apply on soles.7 to 12 months old – 1 drop on palms, use counting method or dilution, then apply on where ailment is OR on soles.1 – 2 years old – can use method for younger babies OR 1 drop neat on locations for NON-hot oils (explanation of hot oils will be covered below) or on soles.3 years and above – same as previous OR 1-2 drops neat on locations (for NON hot oils) or on soles.Adults – 1 – 4 drops neat. DILUTE if uncomfortable or confine to soles only.
- What should I do when experiencing rashes or burning sensation?
- STOP the application immediately, and drink more water to flush out though body wastes (sweat, pee, poo).
- APPLY carrier oil copiously. DON’T wash with water. Water will drive the oil further and cause more discomfort.
- WAIT until the rashes / burning sensation to subside before next application (and dilute the oils prior to application).
- You can confine the application to soles after the rashes subsides.
- PLEASE USE with caution for areas with thin membrane such as genital, near eyes, side of the mouth, and underarm areas.
- Where should I apply essential oil?
- APPLY where the ailment is with proper dilution if necessary
- Respiratory support– inhale and apply on chest, throat and back
- Digestive support – inhale for calming and apply on tummy and back
- Relaxation, clarity, etc. – brain stem, temples, behind ears (take note of skin sensitivity)
- When in doubt, apply on soles, focus on vita flex points. Another good area is SPINE.
DO NOT drip oils directly into EYES, NOSTRILS, and EARS. There would not be permanent damage but it would really be uncomfortable. IF the oils happens to drip into eyes, use MILK OR CARRIER OILS to flush. DO NOT use water to flush.
- What are oils to be cautiously used in pregnancy?
- Avoid overuse and excessive use of Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea), Sage (Salvia officinalis), Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare), Hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis), Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), Jasmine (Jasminum officinale) and Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens) as well as the blends and supplements that contain these oils during pregnancy. Additional oils as advised by Dr. Peter Minke are Hong Kuai and Palo Santo.
- Avoid hormonal oils during breastfeeding, such as Clary Sage and its blends.
- Do seek professional advices prior using essential oils during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Am I allergic to oils?
In Dr. Stewart’s book entitled “The chemistry of Essential Oils Made Simple”, he answers the above questions, consider the following facts:
- People can be allergic to fatty oils. This is because fatty oils are not steam-distilled. They are cold pressed – to preserve their properties – from the fruit and seed and contain many molecules that would not survive distillation but do come through a pressing (citrus essential oils, for example) Among these molecules are traces of proteins, amino acids, and polypeptides – all potential allergens. It’s also possible to be allergy to carrier oils inside the blends.
- Allergens are almost composed of proteins or polypeptides, which are relatively large molecules. There are no protein or polypeptides in steam-distilled essential oils. In fact, nitrogen containing compounds are virtually non-existent in essential oils except in occasional trace amounts.
- Allergens are composed of large molecules. There are no large molecules in volatile or aromatic oils, otherwise they would neither volatile nor aromatic.
- There has never been a documented instance of an anti-body response (i.e. sensitization) to an essential oil. Essential oil antibodies have never been found or detected in anyone. Unless sensitization occurs and antibodies are produced and stored in the body, there can be NO allergic reaction. Sometimes people do have allergy-like reactions but this are no allergenic in nature.THEY ARE DETOX REACTIONS.
- If a person has a reaction to an essential oil the first time they receive it, it cannot be an allergy, because there was no prior exposure whereby sensitization and development of antibodies could have taken place. Such a reaction is non-allergenic.
- It’s also possible to be sensitive to the oils topically, such as rash. However, internally is normally fine. When starting to use Young Living Essential Oil, it’s best to start slow, dilute and do a small test patch on the skin.
- What are hot oils and high Phenol oils?
HOT oils are essential oils which upon contact with skin or mucus membrane will cause burning sensation. These oils should be used with caution especially around young children to prevent discomfort. Dilute, if necessary. Example of hot oils are Oregano, Thyme, Wintergreen, Thieves, Clove essential oils.Oils which have Thymol, Eugenol. Caracrol, Cineole/ Eucalyptol etc are all under “Phenols”. Phenols & Phenylpropaniods. One of the functions of phenols is to clean the receptor sites of cells – hence allowing cells to communicate. When cells do not communicate, the body malfunctions, resulting in sickness.Oils which have high phenols are Wintergreen (97%), Clove (77%), Basil(76%), Thyme (48%), Oregano (70%) – source: Essential Oils Desk Reference Sixth Edition. Other high phenolic oils are Thieves and R.C., often used to support respiratory system.IF you have rash after using high phenol oils, it’s probably your body lacks something to handle high phenols.
- Can there be an overdose?
If you take more than what your body requires, there can be unpleasant side effect, such as rash, because the body tries to expel toxins. Common guideline: for every 10kg body weight = 1 drop of essential oils used.
Drink plenty of water
- If it melts plastic, doesn’t it harm me?
The mucuous membranes might be sensitive to essential oils. Hence, care should be exercised when the essential oils will be in contact with them. Small amount of essential oils (less than 5 drops for adults – see guideline above) normally do not cause much discomfort.
- What are the oils to be avoided during pregnancy?Avoid overuse and excessive use of
– Aniseed (Pimpinella anisum)
– Basil (Ocimum basilicum)
– Birch (Betula lenta)
– Blue Cypress (Callitris intratropica)
– Cassia (Cinnamomum cassia)
– Camphor (Cinnamomum camphora)
– Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea)
– Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)
– Ho leaf aka Ravintsara (Cinnamomum camphora)
– Hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis)
– Jasmine (Jasminum officinale)
– Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris)
– Myrtle (Myrtus communis)
– Nutmeg (Mysristica fragrans)
– Parsley seed or leaf (Petroselinum sativum)
– Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium)
– Sage (Salvia officinalis)
– Spanish Lavender (Lavandula stoechas)
– Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare)
– Tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus)
– Thuja (Thuja occidentalis)
– Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens)
– Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)
as well as the blends and supplements that contain these oils during pregnancy. Additional oils as advised by Dr. Peter Minke are Hong Kuai and Palo Santo.Please take note that individual’s response may vary and this list is just guidance. Some have used some of the oils in the list and gave birth to healthy babies 🙂 It’s very important to seek advice from your naturopath as well as do research on your own. Wish you smooth and healthy pregnancy throughout.
For detailed information, please go to this article.
- If I am in Indonesia, how to register as YL member?
As Indonesia does not have Young Living office, please go to YL website and choose SINGAPORE as your country. Contact me or visit my contact list to check how to ship from Singapore to Indonesia. Please take note that if you choose Indonesia as your country of residence, YL will send your package from US to Indonesia and normally the package will be stuck in Indonesia custom.
Follow this page for step-by-step registration
- If I decide to discontinue my monthly membership, is there any penalty? What are the procedures?
No, there is no penalty at all.
You just need to take note that you won’t be eligible for quarterly gift (for SG, MY, Australia, Japan members only) once you restart your account to monthly in the future. Your PV points earned will be wiped out and restarted once you start your monthly purchase again.You just need to email or call Young Living office (for SG, the numbers are +65 63910170) and state that you want to change your membership to standard membership.It’s as simple as that
If you want to know in details about this, you can drop me a message here or email me at email@example.com
If you are ready to purchase, you can click here I would love to support you in using the oils for yourself and your loved ones